the tavern of marius
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the tavern of marius

a forum for all based in an old world tavern

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

First book review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JustFred

JustFred

First book review Empty
PostSubject: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:20 am

Sometimes you quite by accident stumble upon a literary treasure that grips you by the scruff and shakes you like apprehended prey. This is the case I think with a wonderfully moving and shocking book by Khaled Hosseini “A thousand splendid suns” which relates the life and death of Maryam, who is born as an illegitimate daughter of a well to do businessman in some out back little town in Afghanistan. Being a source of shame to the family after the death of her mother the lawful members of the family arrange a wedding for her and she is taken by a much older man far away from her hometown to the far city of Kabul. This is in the early days of the civil war in Afghanistan before the intervention by the Russian communists. It describes the horrors of everyday life in a city ruined by constant bombarbments and shellings by the various war-groups sharing the life of a brutal and loveless husband. The more so because she can give him no heir. Opportunity created by circumstance makes him take the young girl Laila as a second wife. In spite of the original hostility between the two women they grow to appreciate one another and even love and care for eachother like sisters. Together they try to endure the often violent abuse by their husband up to the moment they try to leave him and run away together. This part really grips you as it almost works … but due to a most foul betrayal... not quite. Interwoven with this shocking tale of two subjugated young women trying to cope together is the powerstruggle that takes place in Afghanistan … the occupation by the Soviet forces, Communist rule and the takeover by Taliban with their strict and harsh approach. At the end the sacrifice by Maryam is heartrending but it also lends strong purpose to her life … and death... because it frees the way for her 'sister' Laila to have the love of her heart and a rewarding life with loving husband and kids. The title of the book “ A thousand splendid suns “ by the way was taken from an old poem about the glorious city of Kabul. Altogether a magnificent piece of work that I would strongly recommend
Back to top Go down
mariusthered
Admin
mariusthered

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

thanks for the review fred Very Happy

it dosn't sound like my normal read but i must admit im intrested now
Back to top Go down
https://thetavenofmarius.forumotion.co.uk
JustFred

JustFred

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 am

Then I'm really intrigued what does make your read Marius.... If I were to make a little gamble FANTASY and/or SciFi... If thát be the case read The OTHERWORLD trilogy by Tad Williams (if you haven't done so already). In my experience thát one does an excellent crossover between Sci-Fi because of the virtual reality theme (HOW REAL IS REAL? ) and the Fantasy because of the various different "Worlds" that are created custom to a rich elite who have the big bucks to create their own immortality ( with a little suspence/horror as a side dish ) . A must read !
One of my favourite authors I might add. So Marius, own up ... what kind of literary stuff tickles your fancy ?
Back to top Go down
mariusthered
Admin
mariusthered

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 am

my reading habits fred are mostly reserch books or graphic novels. i must admit the last novel i read was the last in the harry potter books (and that's turned out weird as its the only one i read and yet the only film i have not seen) anyhow your right i do like sci fi and im also happy with a nice vampire book ,blood and gold by anne rice is wonderful.
Back to top Go down
JustFred

JustFred

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:12 am

Hey.. " Blood and Gold " ; that sounds like the title of another book from the sequel "A game of thrones" ; I truly enjoyed that bundle of books as well... They did a series on tele based on the books... somehow that robs you of your own particular envisionment , the 'movie' your imagination makes in your head as you read along as it were; I found the same effect was created when I saw Peter Jackson 's LORD OF THE RINGS; I read and reread this masterpiece about 8 or 9 times over since 1973 when I got hold of my first paperback copy; whenever I read the book now I always see Jackson's movie in my mind and - although wonderfully done - I really think that's a shame. There nothing like the mind's eye to get a fresh and unblemished first impression while reading a book, don't you agree ?
Back to top Go down
mariusthered
Admin
mariusthered

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:46 pm

yes i do agree fred. that has happened a few times to me and is the cheif reasion ive not seen the last harry potter film yet, i was kind of miffed when i heard they were splitting th last book into two movies, especially when the first half of the book and the first movie is harry ,ron and miss granger running around in woods , but i digress. i saw game of thrones when it came on tv and enjoyed it but that could be because i never read the book. and as a link to this thread did you ever read any of the sharp books (sharp played by sean bean) if so fred i would be greatful if you id a reveiw of the sharp novels please Laughing
Back to top Go down
JustFred

JustFred

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Sharp you say ? Don't know it (yet) but it sounds interesting; I'll go into that if I manage to lay my hands on the material. Stay tuned
Back to top Go down
mariusthered
Admin
mariusthered

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:00 pm

i'm suprised you dont know it fred but maybe it wasnt as big in your part of the world. its based on the nepolian wars and is the stroy of one mans rise up the ranks of the english army. i dont know the name of the first book but if you check out utube you will find some of the tv show. it was a big hit in england in the 90's . anyhow i'm sure you will enjoy the books.
Back to top Go down
JustFred

JustFred

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 9:03 am

Ehm... You failed to mention that Bernard Cornwell has written 22 books featuring Sharpe so far and is still going strong... I'm quite a reader but not thát fast hahaha... It took me a considerable amount of time to munch through the gigantic buffet of The Wheel of Time saga... very yummy I might add... Still am devastated by the fact that Robert Jordan wasn't able to conclude his masterpiece by himself... Memento mori
His stand-in is doing a respectable job working up to the grand finale though.
I would appreciate to get my hands on Sharpe's Eagle if someone has the Epub format available. Got a SONY E-reader so most bookformats won't create a problem as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
mariusthered
Admin
mariusthered

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 am

Very Happy um sorry fred ,i never knew there was 22 books as i said i know more about sharp from the tv show
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First book review Empty
PostSubject: Re: First book review   First book review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First book review
Page 1 of 1